Mamadou Sakho: Defender accepts 'substantial' damages from Wada

Crystal Palace defender Mamadou Sakho has accepted "substantial" damages from the World Anti-Doping Agency over allegations he took banned performance-enhancing drugs.

Sakho was briefly suspended in 2016 after testing positive for a fat-burning substance called higenamine.

 

But Uefa cleared him when it found that higenamine was not banned by Wada.

On Wednesday Wada's lawyer said the agency "accepts it should not have made the defamatory allegations it did".

Sakho, who missed the Europa League final against Sevilla as a result of the ban, was tested after a Europa League game against Manchester United that March while playing for Liverpool.

The 30-year-old also claims the suspension cost him a place in France's Euro 2016 squad.

Sakho said: "I am pleased with Wada's acceptance that I did not breach the Uefa anti-doping regulations, did not cheat, had no intention of gaining any advantage and acted in good faith.

"I am also pleased that Wada has apologised to me and agreed to pay a substantial sum in damages.

"I consider myself vindicated and now look forward to continuing my career."

He added: "This is the worst thing you can be accused of, doping. Today is a big day for my story."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defensive Powerhouse: Nnamdi Frank, Lobi Stars and Nigeria's Rising Star

Sports Journalists In Aba Honor Finidi George in Post-Afcon Reception.

Lagos State FA Chairman Congratulates Manu Garba On His Appointment As Golden Eaglets Coach