'Why I rejected being the NFF president'- Senator Orji Uzor Kalu

Former Governor of Abia State, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu (OUK) has stated why he rejected the opportunity to run for Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and Confederation of African Football (CAF) seats in the past.


The politician who posseses great love for football development sponsored Enyimba as they conquered Africa on two occasions winning the CAF Champions League back-to-back in 2003 and 2004.

OUK enthused at popular WhatsApp Platform, Nigerian Sports Mouthpiece (NSM) on Wednesday.

“Initially I didn’t want to contest as NFF President,” he explained when asked on NSM.
“When I was in London, Amaju Pinnick and Gbenga approached me to be the President of NFF. Amaju was to be the Vice. I changed my mind due to the fact that Nigeria is a difficult place to work in.”
He continued: “I have been in the commission in the past and know how difficult it is to run sports. I was a member of the National Sports Commission under the Chairmanship of Sebastian Williams. It’s a difficult to thing to run an organization you are not in charge of.”

The Senator praised NFF President Amaju for his handling of football matters in Nigeria.

“I praise my friend Amaju because it is a difficult to run that place where they are no rules, no income and things are upside down.”
“I never said that I wanted to go to CAF. People from everywhere were just speculating. I will rather help Nigeria to carry the cup than go to sit in CAF. Age is on my side. I’m 61, at anytime CAF is secondary.

The lovely father and mentor also revealed the ingredients needed to sponsor a football.

“By persuasion and interest that anyone can invest in football. It’s their hard earned. If they see the right people they will invest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defensive Powerhouse: Nnamdi Frank, Lobi Stars and Nigeria's Rising Star

Sports Journalists In Aba Honor Finidi George in Post-Afcon Reception.

Lagos State FA Chairman Congratulates Manu Garba On His Appointment As Golden Eaglets Coach