Tyson Fury wants to be removed from the Sports Personality of the Year shortlist.


The WBC world heavyweight champion was confirmed among a list of six nominees for the annual BBC award, which also includes Formula 1 icon Lewis Hamilton, world snooker champion Ronnie O’Sullivan and jockey Hollie Doyle.


The Gypsy King says he doesn’t need verification from the BBC.
Fury, though, is not interested in possessing any further accolades and insists he is more than content being the ‘people’s champion’.

“Hi, this is Tyson Fury the Gypsy King,” he said on Instagram. “And this is a message for the BBC on their SPOTY award.


“Please take me off your list as I am the people’s champion and have no need for verification or any awards.

“I know who I am and what I have done in sport. The love of the people is worth more to me than all the awards in the world.


Fury is the WBC heavyweight champion and was due to defend his title on December 5

Fury is the WBC heavyweight champion and was due to defend his title on December 5
“So to all of my supporters, please don’t vote for me.

“Take me off the list. All my love, Tyson Fury the Gypsy King.”


Liverpool’s title winning captain Jordan Henderson and Cricketer Stuart Broad are also included on the prestigious list.

Fury was a surprise omission from the 2018 Sports Personality of the Year shortlist, after capping off a remarkable return to boxing amid several mental health problems by securing a dramatic draw with Deontay Wilder two years ago.

He was due to defend his WBC heavyweight belt for the first time against German fighter Agit Kabayel next month before he postponed his comeback until next year.

Speaking to talkSPORT last month, he expressed his desire to fight heavyweight rival. Anthony Joshua TWICE in 2021 and Joshua has no intention of dodging the challenge.

The pair are set to fight twice in 2021. In fact, AJ has questioned Fury’s popularity.
“Tyson Fury is a talented, talented guy and he deserves all the praise he is getting right now but it is interesting when you talk about his popularity,” he said.

“Because if Fury could have sold out 90,000-capacity stadiums, then he would have done.
“But he never has had the ability to attract those large numbers, not until he fights me.

“I have had those sorts of crowds against Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin at Wembley.

“I will fight Fury because in 50 years time, people will remember your character and I always want to be remembered as a risk-taker.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Defensive Powerhouse: Nnamdi Frank, Lobi Stars and Nigeria's Rising Star

Sports Journalists In Aba Honor Finidi George in Post-Afcon Reception.

Lagos State FA Chairman Congratulates Manu Garba On His Appointment As Golden Eaglets Coach